Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Devon

Mona Lisa Font & Adolfo Correa

I find Adolfo's style to be extreme visual confetti created around a font. He did a poster below where he declared his love for Helvetica. Next to the Helvetica poster, is his most famous "confetti font" with I love you. So I thought it would be fun to combine his love for font, and his love confetti with my Mona Lisa. I tried to use his aesthetic, with my font's aesthetic.... If I pulled it off is up to the viewer. Below is the FREE TIBET confetti design. I am not a fan of his style, I would not think Jay is a large fan either. So the design I came up with, departs from my normal style. In that way I am impressed, because looking at it... It feels like someone elses work.
The poster below is the combination of my Mona Lisa font, and it's aesthetic.... mixed with my take on Adolfo Correa's aesthetic style. I started with a 18x24 canvas. I studied Di Vinci's work, he is famous for unfinished work. I tried to combine that unfinished Di Vinci style with the landscape with atmospheric perspective found behind Mona Lisa herself. Once painted, I used different styles to make it look older, cracked, and weathered. Then I designed the "Confetti", in photo shop, and placed it ontop of a photo of my landscape. Then taking a Mask of my "Mona Lisa" font, I cut out the negative, leaving the landscape in place of the fill on my font. I wanted my take of Adolfo to be modern and relevant with todays popular designs. I have the landscape, and the font, to tie the poster to the renaissance.

2 comments:

  1. Devon, love the background. It does remind me of DaVinci's sketches and painting style. I like how the type shows through to the background. It may just be me, but the red swirls feel like they don't quite fit. For some reason it reminds me of the bio-hazard symbols. I do like the idea. The type is quite nice and has an elegant feel. What would it look like without the swirls? Or could they be more gently rendered?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The DaVinci texture looks excelent it works really well. The red swirls look a little out of place maybe you could layer something else that is more consistent to that time period, and let the fact that you have the multiple layers be the inspiration from your designer.
    Your font looks very elegant and mysterious. Very appropriate to Mona Lisa. Good job. Not sure about the transparency of the text.

    ReplyDelete