Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Statue Inscription


Well in keeping with my previous entry, I've selected another example of typography that is meant to last. This time, I have taken my example from the inscription on the Old Sorrel statue.

Like the tombstone inscription in my previous entry, the typography in this example is also meant to last for a long time. The inscription tells the story of our university's founders. If you've ever read the story, it's quite apparent that it is worth writing down, especially in a manner that will preserve the legacy set forth by the schools founders.

As for the type itself, it is raised rather than carved in like the tombstone. The face of the type is gold, which makes for a nice contrast against the dark, weathered metal behind it. I've always thought that type on metal gives the inscription a strong sense of importance. There's almost a strange connection to the past and the future when one sees the inscription. I now stand and read where others have stood. No doubt, in the future, many more will stand in the same place, and read the story so carefully preserved by the typography.

-Dan Gill

2 comments:

  1. Not only are you so deep in your words, you have some crazy illustration skillz. I think tomorrow I am going to have to read about this History of SUU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I am really liking the illustration hope you keep it up!

    ReplyDelete