Wednesday, January 13, 2010

day 10

my christmas present from my mother was several books on hand-lettering. not only are they interesting to me from a typographic and design basis, they are family heirlooms. her side of the family has a history of working in advertising design.

this is not about cedar city specifically, but this is the type of work i have been looking at recently and i thought i would share some of what inspires me and informs my work. it is things like this that lead me to think about ancestry, place, belonging, heritage, culture, society, art, aura, etc etc.

i am still reading essays about aura, context, environment, all that good stuff. i will share my notes and thoughts when i come to any sort of conclusions.




2 comments:

  1. you can see more pages from this specific book on my flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/danellekay/sets/72157623081239811/
    i will post photos of the other books like this that i have later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, you got to love vintage work. There is just something cool about it.

    ReplyDelete