Tuesday, January 12, 2010

day nine: another application of neg./pos.


When brainstorming I tend to have many words running through my head, so I've been listing them in my sketchbook. As I listed words for the word negative, stencil came to mind. A stencil is the perfect 'negative'. Like in photography, the negative is the original or most perfect capturing of the image.

Also, the article Jay had us read & discuss in class had me thinking about the beauty & integrity of type & how photography contributed to "the most exact rendering of communication" (Laszlo Moholy-Nagy).

It's interesting to me that as I've been scavenging I have been capturing my findings by way of photography. I feel that it has a lost effect because you weren't there seeing what I was seeing & seeing what surrounded these findings or even getting a sense of it dimensionality. This reflects the statement made in that same article (posted below), because I feel a lost sense of physicality or tangibility in my postings.

"...[Photo]type setting preserved a technique which admittedly guaranteed the purity of the linear effect but ignored the new dimensions of life."

No comments:

Post a Comment