Saturday, January 9, 2010

day six: surrounding areas...or in other words negative space

I have met people here in Cedar who are from varying places outside of Cedar. After talking with some of those people the other day I wanted to include their being a part of Cedar in this project.

I remembered how I mentioned that the surrounding areas of Cedar could be what defines Cedar, just like negative space can define a letterform. I realized that the various ways the negative space is used creates a different look, feel, weight, etc. of the letterform. In this case, the negative space (or the people from varying places outside Cedar) are further in the positive space (Cedar City). So if Cedar City were to be a font, it would have a thin strokes.

I chose to use license plates to illustrate where some of these people may be from. I wonder what a license plate for Cedar City would look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment