Monday, January 4, 2010

Day 1: Shannon Coughlin

Type is viewed in many different ways. You see signs and billboards all over even in a small town like Cedar City, Utah. One of the most interesting concepts for me that we experimented with in Typography I was how letters can convey a message and emotions to the viewer. So I wanted to play with this subject.

My first image is a carving from a tree. I love the way these people wanted to preserve the way they felt about a person and broadcast it to everyone even though it is on a tree outside of Wendy’s’ fast food restaurant. I have always found it interesting when people carve their names or put their initials whether it is on trees, or in wet cement or on walls with graffiti. They want they name and their feelings to be out there by using typography. Even I have had the urge to put something in writing in wet cement from time to time.

Shannon Coughlin

No comments:

Post a Comment