Monday, January 4, 2010

Festive Airs


Whenever I drive back to Cedar City from where I've been, I tend to look at land marks along the way and say- Ah ha, there's the "This is the place" bill board, and there's that sign advertising SUU and there at last is the large sign welcoming drivers to Cedar City, festival city. It lets me know I'm almost home.
Like so many other times, I noticed these signs and I had been thinking about Cedar City as a fun, little place to live with at least some cultural highlights here and there. Now with this assignment I got thinking of all the history behind the Shakespeare Festival and how typography plays a role in communicating a certain atmosphere anywhere you go. I was thinking it would be interesting to take type specimens from town, including all the signage having to do with Cedar City's heritage of festivals such as the Shakespeare and Groove Fest events and explore how different typefaces portray the mood of these events and does it affect what people think about Cedar City?

No comments:

Post a Comment