Monday, January 4, 2010

Tombstone Rubbing


This first image is taken from the letters engraved on a tombstone in the local cemetery. Now before you all assume that I'm a morbid tombstone rubbing, grave robber, allow me to explain my inspiration. I've been somewhat fascinated by the role that type can play in the long term.

Today, we throw away a lot of things with type on them, but for centuries, type has functioned as a means of leaving a mark that would outlast the mark-maker. It's a way for us to immortalize our ideas, for our posterity. Take the tombstone itself. We use the term "carved in stone" to refer to something that is unchangeable. I think the longevity of a tombstone is interesting because it essentially serves as a marker for a life that is temporary and finite. There is a contrast between the life of the inscription and the life of the person it now supersedes. By engraving the person's name in stone, we all can see that this particular person was here; that they lived.

That is why I would like to explore the ways that typography can leave a lasting impression, whether it be for a few years or for eons.

-Peace, Dan G.

3 comments:

  1. Dan, just don't use a font on your tombstone that you'd be kicking yourself in the afterlife for. Can you imagine a tombstone done in Comic Sans? Now that's morbid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting idea, the role type plays between permanence and impermanence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man... well I kind of did the same thing that you did but not the deep thinking part. Anyways I got to give you props. and I have to post mine too...*sighs to himself*

    ReplyDelete