Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I love Kristen Font (Day 3: Devo)

I do love Kristen font, and I am proud of it.... But I also make baby t-shirts, and it goes well with what my client's want. How I use it, is probably what Kristen font should be used for. It has a heavy stroke, and a good readability printed on a baby onesie. It is playful, and reads little girl to me.

I do not think it should be used for a full service salon & home decor stores. I wonder if I only have a problem with this because I am a font snob. The average person probably thinks it looks great. But this font reads to me, nursery colors, scissors with plastic blades, play dough, nap time, and finger paints... Not the kinda thought I want with someone cutting my hair, or design my home decor.

It's funny, with my baby onesie/t-shirt company, and my vinyl wall lettering company... I use all the over used fonts a Graphic Designer should stay away from. But kids look good in Andy, Hobo, Comic Sans, and Kristen font. People like scripture quotes in vinyl wall lettering with Papyrus font. I try and offer better solutions, but in the end this is what the client wants... They are also the very rare times, that these fonts might be a good choice. I wonder on a sign like in my picture above, if the Graphic Designer tried to offer a better font. The client just probably wanted Kristen, because they liked how it looked!

Devo

No comments:

Post a Comment