Tuesday, April 6, 2010

christina: type-poster


My designer is Sumeco, a.k.a. Theo Aartsma. He is a young designer/illustrator from Holland. These are examples of his very sophisticated 3D typography illustrations he's been recognized for doing.

Here are my sketches...I'm facing a challenge with the 3D rendering of my typeface. I'd like to go with style of the bottom right image of Sumeco's examples I posted above. My word was 'Southern Belle'. I would like to make the stylized type resemble lace...so there would be a floralistic pattern in the typeface.

My typeface isn't complete & would have more ornamental design. I'd keep the plain background & the center focus of the typography with center alignment unless there are mult. words.

Some of the words I came up with to have on the poster are:
belle, GRITS (girls raised in the south),belle queen, debutante....what do you think?


This is my hand-drawn type for the final poster!
Next: vectorization.


Top: vectored type for poster
Bottom: progression of 3D rendering


A new direction:
here is another beautiful example of sumeco's typography

I'm going to create a candle lit effect like this one with the same type I've created.

2 comments:

  1. ooooh!

    number one... i think you should use the word "GRITS"
    because it is not a pretty word but it has the same meaning as your theme so it is ironic. perfect. well, i also really like debutante. pick your favorite!

    number two.. lace. also perfect. i just wonder what if you use your alphabet you're designing (its a scripty type font right?), vectorize it,
    take some pictures of lace and then mask it so the lace becomes the letter forms. from there you can work on mimicking the pattern of the lace with vectors and adding your own embellishments (i notice things like pearls in your sketches. that could be so great. just keep it simple and recognizable).

    i am very tired so if that does not make sense just call me or talk to me tomorrow :)

    p.s... how much time do we have to get these done? cause uhh... both of our projects are gonna take awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha yeah...your telling me...we'll have to have a poster making party or somethin. What a party that would be huh?

    I think these are due in a week! Final poster design needs to be submitted to the blog, & then the server with all our files on Wednesday the 14th.

    Thanks for your feedback. Yes my type will be more scripty. My original typeface was inspired by ribbon, & how it twists & overlaps, but it's being revamped to be more organic & will still the overlapping embellishments.

    Well, I'll see you in class!

    ReplyDelete