Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Jade Gelskey: Comp for Poster

Jade Gelskey

Illustrator: Seb Lester
Type Face Created by Me: "Couch Potato"


Here is my typeface:

So to start off the image that Jay gave me of Seb Lesters work was a little flourishy (see inside the scan where I pasted it) for what my font is all about. Couch potato's are lazy and not considered beautiful...which is what the example I received was.


I decided to do a little research and came up with a few that seemed to meld better into my ideas.
The first and second are a lot simpler and have a little more structure that I thought could play off of my messy idea a little better. They also are simplistic in their color schemes.

(only uses two colors)

(only uses three colors)


So here is my comp of what I came up with. I went with a simple layout and bright colors that contrast well (similar to his). I wanted to have kind of a type vibe to the saying while still being about couch potato's...if it doesn't make sense let me know.


Also note the silhouette... I liked how Seb Lester did the silhouettes in his and took inspiration off of that. I tried to give the guy a "plumper" look about him by adding some rolls and chins etc. I think this could still use some refining.

2 comments:

  1. In looking at it on here it looks like the type could be brightened up a little...hmm..Agree?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on your poster so far! It's looking great. I like how you incorporated your designers silhouette idea with your plump man. I think It would be great if you could make him look even bigger around the whole body, like his legs a little bigger? I don't know how well that would work but I think the direction you're going with, adding rolls and such helps convey your concept a lot.

    I really like your typeface you created and think you executed your concept great. I also think how you set up your type on the poster is working very well.

    I like the color pallet that you chose, but one thing is that when I first saw your colors I thought of poo. haha, maybe because of the way your typeface is designed with the color makes me think of that. I think everything you have done is great! I don't know how much you've experimented with the color at all, and I'm not sure on what I would say would work better but I'd play around with it!

    Looks great though! You did an amazing job so far:)

    ReplyDelete