Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Katie Poloni


Nate Williams uses a lot of handrawn type. I really like that in some of his images he uses the type to create a shape with it. I was thinking of doing something like and making it into the trunk of a tree. Here's a sketch of that:
I also made a mockup for another idea I had. He sometimes put a simple illustration next to a phrase and, this is just a digital sketch, of course it would be hand drawn, but the basic idea of the layout of the poster I would make if I went that way.

1 comment:

  1. Katie-

    I think your sketches are fantastic and you are working with humor in really nice way.

    I think your strongest sketches are definitely your tree sketch as well as both the one you did a digital illustration of and the bottom one on that set of three.

    As far as seeing a little more of your style I think the bottom one of the three does more. It does not feel as cookie cutter Nate Williams (the one you did the digital sketch of is almost identical placement of his bike and animal one).

    I think the type is working well on your "True Lumberjacks Wear Plaid" digi-sketch but watch how close you come on your type relationships. The "True" is sitting pretty close to the guys shirt as well as the word "Lumberjacks". I think part of why this bothers me is you have so much negative space (which I like!) everything feels like it needs to have its fair share of breathing room since it can. If that makes sense :)

    If you go with the tree one (which I think is just as strong)watch that it stays relatively readable and has really bright colors like your artists stuff.

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete